Translate

Friday, June 5, 2015

Workshop

Cultural Transitions

Grit. Self-control. Zest. Curiosity. Optimism. Gratitude. Social intelligence. 

These are the characteristics that research tells us are most associated with academic success and happiness (Duckworth). 

Lack of respect. Talking out of turn. Giggling. Not "giving the teacher eyes". 

These are some of the behaviors teachers are telling me are getting in the way of teaching.

Tomorrow, Saturday, I will present a workshop on student behavior for 30-40 teachers. As I began creating the workshop, I started out with a straightforward explanation of behavioral principles.  But then I realized the huge cultural shift I was asking from teachers. 

For instance the idea that:
  • Every student comes to school with a different set of skills.
  • Instruction must be differentiated. 
  • Creativity and independence require space from hierarchy and rules.
  • Social and emotional learning (SEL) has an important, even critical place in supporting academics.
  • If academic performance is expected, teachers must also teach SEL.
  • As students mature, teaching becomes more of a collaboration than a dissemination of information.
  • Some degree of "rebellion" is normal for adolescents. 


I have reframed my workshop to begin with the importance of SEL in schools, knowing that this is the biggest shift teachers will have to make. I know the principal supports this too. I don't think they can buy into any system of behavioral management without also challenging their ideas how teachers affect and support to their students social and emotional development. 

Don't please don't misunderstand. I have been extremely impressed with the teaching skills and curriculum I have observed. The teachers are dedicated beyond anything we might expect in the US.  They leave their families to come and teach here for 9 months of the year. They live in small quarters, some even in the English style dormitory with students (essentially a large room with bunk beds).  They are eager to learn.  What I see as the biggest hurdle is the huge cultural shift which is required given their personal experiences in traditional Indian schools. 




No comments:

Post a Comment