Translate

Monday, June 22, 2015

Executive Functioning

On Friday night we had a lively workshop on executive functioning for select members of the faculty. I taught about recent advances in neuropsychological research on the adolescent brain, we did a self-inventory of our strengths and weaknesses in executive functioning skills and then the group brainstormed solutions for a case study of a 7th grade student with attention and writing problems.

The school culture here is unique because the faculty are truly invested in advancing their knowledge base and eager to be part of any type of professional development. Reflection writings after workshops and assemblies are standard here.  Hands on activities and active problem solving by talking with colleagues is expected.  This is probably the single factor that has most impressed me.  This commitment to learning also encourages risk taking. I have felt this first hand in my approach to presenting to staff and giving feedback about behavior management. I feel a part of this school now, which is really astounding to me given I have only been here for 5 weeks.

The principal was excited with the feedback he received and asked me to present to upper school students (9th-13th grade) on Tuesday and parents on Wednesday.  I expect the student presentation to be free flowing with lots of questions.  The parent presentation will be interesting because there isn't really a cultural expectation that parents collaborate with teachers, come to teachers with problems or participate very much in their child's education.  The very idea of a parent workshop like this is exceptional in India.  Taktse is forging ahead with bringing parents in and creating a collaborative dynamic.


Staff completing self-assessments of executive functioning skills. 

In my new kurti (traditional Indian wear).  

No comments:

Post a Comment